55, retiring next year after 30 years in tech — will this money actually last?

Home › Forums › Business & Finance › 55, retiring next year after 30 years in tech — will this money actually last?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #303
    Uncle John
    Participant

      So I’m 55, done with software after three decades. Bay Area, house paid off, no debt. Tired of the grind and the layoffs.

      Rough numbers:

      401k: ~$1.8M

      Roth: ~$300k

      Brokerage: ~$400k

      Cash: ~$150k

      Social Security: ~$2,800/mo at 62, ~$4,000 at 67

      Wife still working part time, ~$60k

      I’m not trying to live luxury. Just a good, healthy life — decent food, gym, a couple trips, no stress when the car breaks. Maybe grandkids eventually.

      Questions:

      What withdrawal rate actually works? Everyone says something different.

      Take Social Security at 62 or wait till 67?

      How do I not get killed on California taxes?

      How much cash should I hold so I don’t panic-sell in a crash?

      I’ve run every calculator online and they all disagree. Just want to hear from people who’ve actually done this. No advisor sales pitches please.

      Thanks.

    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.